3 Ways to Get the Dazzle Back into Your Gemstone Jewellery
The beauty of gemstone jewellery is its sparkle and shine. So when your pieces start to lose their dazzle due to every day wear and tear, it can be a little disappointing. So how to clean gemstone jewellery? Read on for our ultimate guide.
1. Home cleaning of gemstone jewellery
Sometimes the simplest things are all that’s needed, and that’s often the case with gemstone jewellery. Often, all your jewellery will need is a gentle clean. However, before you set about cleaning gemstones, it’s wise to know which gemstones you’re dealing with and how to clean them so as not to cause any damage.
Here are just a few of our favourite gemstones and how they should be cleaned:
· Diamonds, cubic zirconia and sapphires: immerse these gemstones in hot, soapy water and gently scrub with an old, soft toothbrush before rinsing and leaving them to air dry.
· Rubies: immerse in warm, soapy water before rinsing and leaving to air dry.
· Emeralds: dip a soft cloth into warm water (not hot) and gently clean before rinsing and air drying.
· Amber: wipe with a soft, dry cloth.
· Topaz: always use warm water only (not hot, as they do not like sudden changes in temperature). Rinse and air dry.
· Opals: Use a wet silk cloth with warm water. You should avoid rubbing and instead gently wipe the stone. Make sure it’s thoroughly dry before storing in a cloth bag.
As you can see, there is a huge variety in how you should clean gemstones. With this in mind, or if you have any doubts or concerns over what you should be doing when it comes to cleaning gemstones, it’s always best to take your gemstone jewellery to your local jewellery shop for a professional clean.
2. Professional cleaning of gemstone jewellery
One of the best and most thorough ways of getting your dazzle back in your gemstone jewellery is to have your local jeweller professionally clean the piece. This will give a much more thorough finish to the cleaning process than your home cleaning solutions can give, simply because a professional jeweller can get into all of the nooks and crannies of your piece. Not only that, but you will have peace of mind that your gemstone will not be damaged in the process.
By having your jewellery professionally cleaned every once in a while (we’d recommend once a year on average) you’ll also have any potentially problems such as loose stones spotted so that it can be repaired in advance of something terrible happening to your piece.
3. Repairing gemstone jewellery
Of course, repairing gemstone jewellery is another excellent way of giving it its dazzle back. Certain gemstones are more likely to scratch than others, or sometimes the facets are worn which can make the stones look dull. Either way, many gemstones can be professionally polished in order to bring their sparkle back.
Always take your gemstone jewellery to a local jeweller who carries out jewellery repairs on the premises, as this will ensure that your piece will be repaired on site, with no risk of it being lost in transit. Don’t forget that your local jeweller can also fix any broken pieces, including loose gemstones or broken links and catches, too.
Need to give your gemstone jewellery its dazzle back? Visit E.K. Jewellers.
If you need to get rid of the dull and bring the dazzle back to your gemstone jewellery, visit E.K. Jewellers in Hainault. For those with gemstone jewellery that has seen better days, as trusted local jewellers in Ilford, we can help to get the sparkle back for you, as well as ensuring that your pieces are repaired and ready to be worn. Pop in today to see how dazzling your gemstone jewellery can be.