A Complete Guide to the Jewellery Repair Process
Many people are put off of having their jewellery repaired simply because they aren’t sure what it entails. Are you someone who has jewellery languishing in a drawer which you’d love to wear again but which is currently broken? If so, here’s a complete guide to the jewellery repair process, and for jewellery repairs Hainault customers can rely on, remember to pop into E.K. Jewellers for more advice.
Finding the Right Jeweller
The jewellery repair process has to start with trust. You’ll be handing over your precious pieces in the hope that your jeweller can make good again for you, and this isn’t for the faint hearted.
As such, make sure that you choose a jeweller who carries out jewellery repairs on the premises. This means that you can trust that your pieces will not be lost in transit. Furthermore, make sure that you feel confident from the conversations you’ve had with the jeweller that they will do a good job. Don’t be afraid to ask for references if you feel that this would help to build your trust in the jeweller.
For jewellery repairs in Hainault, pop along to E.K. Jewellers and talk to us about our services and expertise. Our experienced and friendly team will be able to put you at ease in order to trust us with your precious pieces.
Before your Repair is Carried Out
Before you had your precious piece over for repair, it’s good to have a sense of the item’s value for insurance purposes. Your chosen jeweller should be able to value the piece and give you a written quote for the cost of the repair. Remember that no work should be carried out without your permission.
Types of Jewellery Repairs Carried Out in Hainault
Here at E.K. Jewellers, we carry out many varied jewellery repairs for Hainault based customers. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ring resizing: this usually involves cutting and soldering the band to add or remove a piece to fit the ring to size, placing a sizing bead on the inside bottom of the shank to compensate for a half-size adjustment or adding a spring insert for bigger size adjustments.
- Pearl restringing: for any beaded or pearl jewellery where the string holding them has seen wear and tear, we can restring your precious beads before the string snaps and your beads are potentially lost. This is an expert technique which involves professionally tying the string to hold the pearls in place.
- Chain and link repair: Chain necklaces and bracelets can often be repaired if a link or the chain itself has broken.
- Claw repair and stone resetting: When stones become loose in rings or brooches, we can repair the claw before the precious gemstone is lost. If the worst has happened and the stone has already been lost, ask your local jeweller about replacing the stone either with something similar or something entirely different, if you wish to change the piece up.
- Polishing and Cleaning: for some pieces, all it takes to get it shining bright again for you is to have the piece polished or professionally cleaned. It’s always best to have this done by an expert so as to avoid any further tarnishing to precious metals.
Don’t forget that many local jewellers in Hainault and beyond can also replace watch batteries and watch straps, too.
After your Jewellery Repairs have been Carried Out
After your jewellery repair is finished, it’s a good idea to check your piece over for any issues. Common issues include hammering or other visible tool marks, visible seams from cutting and soldering and loose stones in their settings. If you’re unhappy with any aspect if your jewellery repair, speak to your jeweller about how you can resolve the situation.
Having said this, there are some issues that you should be aware of from the outset. For example, whilst repairs to chains, when carried out properly, are barely detectable, the chain will never be as strong as it would have been originally. If your jeweller suspects that there might still be an issue with the piece after the jewellery fix, they should always be honest and advise of the potential problem up front.
For any jewellery repairs in Hainault, pop along to E.K. Jewellers. We have been mending jewellery on site for over 35 years and have plenty of experience in all fields of jewellery repairs. Get in touch today, and we’ll help put your mind at ease over your jewellery repair.