The Ultimate Guide to Jewellery Collecting
Building a jewellery collection is not only a good investment for your wardrobe, it can also be a lot of fun to collect special pieces with the potential to be handed down the generations to come too. But how do you know where to start? If you’re ready to start your own jewellery collection, here are our top tips for collecting jewellery.
1. Decide on your style
The first thing you need to do when starting a jewellery collection is decide on your style.
This could mean doing some research into different types and styles of jewellery, as well as looking at different fashion trends over the years. Decide which ones you like, and also think about your lifestyle and the type of clothes that you wear. Do you want to jazz up basic outfits with statement pieces? Or are you after classic, understated pieces of jewellery?
Of course, the joy of building up a jewellery collection is that you can mix and match pieces to ensure that you’ve got something for every occasion and every outfit, so don’t feel pigeonholed into particular pieces, so long as the pieces that you do buy suit your sense of style.
2. Consider certain pieces
Most people will want to consider certain pieces within their jewellery collection to ensure that they’ve got all bases covered to work with their wardrobe and every occasion.
These pieces would usually include:
· The classics: these are timeless pieces that you can wear for pretty much any occasion. This could be stud diamond earrings, a simple pendant necklace or a classic ring. They should be timeless and elegant to enable you to wear them with every outfit.
· A statement piece: you will likely also want some special, stand-out pieces, too. Statement pieces really show off your own individual style, so why not ask your local jeweller if they can commission a bespoke piece of jewellery for you?
· Special occasion jewellery: if you’re likely to want to pass your jewellery onto future generations, or if you like to have specific pieces to wear for special occasions, consider investing in some more expensive pieces. Diamonds and pearls are always good investments.
· Watches: as part of your collection, you may wish to consider adding watches. It’s likely that you’ll want an everyday watch and a special occasion watch, in which case you may end up starting a separate watch collection, too!
3. Think about vintage and antique jewellery
You may also want to consider adding vintage and antique jewellery to your jewellery collection.
Vintage pieces often have a story behind them, or you may just like a particular period of jewellery. Either way, they’re a great investment which can be handed down the generations and will complement the other pieces within the collection.
Don’t forget that you can also ask your jeweller to remodel vintage jewellery which may be in need of repair, or which perhaps aren’t isn’t quite your style in its current format.
4. Remember to clean and maintain your jewellery
If you’re really serious about your jewellery collection as an investment, you need to ensure that you regularly clean your jewellery and maintain it.
This could mean having your pieces professionally cleaned, having your watch serviced by your local jeweller, or having any repairs made to your jewellery in a timely manner to ensure you don’t lose gemstones or pearls from your pieces.
Remember that jewellery storage is also important, so ensure you keep your pieces in a quality storage box to make sure that they are kept as safe as they can be. You may also want to consider keeping expensive pieces in a home safe for safekeeping. And don’t forget to have them valued and insured, too.
Want to know how to build a jewellery collection? Look to E.K. Jewellers for advice.
If you want more tips for collecting jewellery, pop into E.K. Jewellers in Hainault. We have a vast range of jewellery in stock to suit all styles and budgets. So, whether you’re just starting out with the classics, or need some statement pieces or bespoke items to add to your existing collection, we can help.
As trusted jewellers in Ilford, we are happy to help you build your perfect jewellery collection.